These systems are not as green as they should be - after all, this project is both a personal quest as well as a global one. Here are my two systems:
I know this system is not priced in the stratosphere, but I’ve put these components up against much more expensive ones and I usually wind up coming back to these. Anyhow, it sounds pretty darn good, so I guess that makes it my reference. Of particular interest is the Myryad amp; it’s an amazing little performer, and the phono stage beats most under-$500 separate phono preamps.
- Rega P2 with Elys 2 cartridge
- Oppo BDP-93se NuForce Edition
- Myryad Z-140
- Zu Audio Soul SuperFly speakers
- Canton Karat 770DC Speakers
- Kimber PBJ & Timbre ICs
- Kimber KWIK-12 speaker cables
- Monster Power HTS-2100 power center (yes, I know, but it does what it needs to for now)
Home Theater System
This is my best-bang-for-the-buck system. Honestly there is nothing I have found at this price point that compares - when you're sitting in the sweet-spot (a very small sweet spot, I must add), there is a sense of space and depth that no comparable box speaker can create. The obvious problem is that it is not green - it takes some serious amps to drive those speakers. That said, if you’re looking to put together a truly amazing sounding system and you have some time to set it up properly (…and you care nothing for being green), this is where it's at. About the only thing about this system that is green is that it’s all been bought second hand.
- Panasonic VIERA TC-P42G25 42-Inch 1080p Plasma HDTV
- Harman Kardon DVD-48 DVD Player
- Oppo BDP-93 Universal Player
- Anthem AVM-30 pre/pro
- NAD C-272 150w Stereo Amp
- NAD T-752 80w 5-channel amp (not in the picture, I'm evaluating the Rotel RMB-1077, here)
- Magnepan MG12 stereo speakers
- Magnepan MMG-C center speaker
- Magnepan MC1 surround speakers
- Magnepan MMG-W surround back speakers
- SVS PB12+ subwoofer
- Wireworld, Tributaries and Audioquest interconnects
- Kimber KWIK-12 speaker cables
- Pangea power cables
- Monster HTS-5100 Mk.II power center
I have a nagging suspicion that the weak link is the NAD power amps but honestly, for as low as the power ratings are, they are pretty darned good. I have never had them clip, although I also don’t turn the volume up very loud – for me it’s more about the detail, which is rather important for movies with a lot of dialog. So I’m on the lookout for a new amp that can drive the Maggies, although if I really wanted to be green I’d replace those as well, it’s just that for the price I can't do any better. I’ve had some good experiences with Zu Audio speakers for a while and that might definitely be an option as well. Von Schweikert VR-33s are also contenders.
The room is big, so a bigger Plasma might also be on the menu eventually. LCD is greener I know, but plasma is so much more natural looking. I’m also not too concerned about cabling, but I’m open to suggestions of course. It’s obvious there is little that is very green about this setup and in the summer it gets pretty darned hot in there. Because of the small sweet spot, it’s also not the best system for large viewing parties. So much to consider…
As I mentioned, I also have a lot of other gear that I’ve collected over the years that I haven’t had the time or the heart to part with. Perhaps I’ll post a list sometime in the near future. It’s not a long list, but there is some nice gear there. I also have some new items that are apparently greener (like the Rotel above) that I intend to test out.